Thursday, March 10, 2011

Should I lift the restraining order? Was I wrong for getting one in the 1st place?

I have dealt a lot with addicts. They are manipulative to the maximum degree. However... if it were me, I would try to figure out to the best of my ability whether or not she was actually trying to be clean. If she is just saying she 'would be' clean if you would help, then no. But if she is actually doing it, then to at least let her know you love and support her is appropriate. Rehab is what she needs actually... The problem with the scenario is that if you aren't an experienced addiction counselor, it is very difficult for you to know what is the best next step. At 18, it is very unlikely she has the skills and maturity it takes to kick it on her own. The best possible thing you can do is to let her know you are proud of her for trying, that you love her and support her, and follow that up by trying to find some kind of a program she can be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment